Monday, January 13, 2014

Brown Sugar Banana Bread

My daughter and daughter-in-law periodically ask me questions about cooking and/or baking, so this year I am going to post more tried and true recipes along with any helpful tips that I can think of. This way, not only will my girls have easy access to favorite family dishes, but I can also share them with the rest of the world.

When I was younger, Google wasn't around to help answer all of my cooking questions, so I had to call an expert...my mother. Now my kids are doing the same thing. Even though they have smart phones with answers right at their fingertips, they still come to me for direction. And, do you know what? I'm totally okay with that!

Here is an actual text conversation I had with my daughter (a newlywed) and is the source of my inspiration. I apologize to my facebook friends who have already seen it, but it's pretty comical and worth sharing.

Katelyn- "Hi. Do you know of any crockpot recipes using ground beef that don't take more than a few hours?"

Me- "No. Make Hamburger Helper or Sloppy Joes."

Katelyn- "There's a crockpot Sloppy Joe Casserole I was going to make, but it says the hash browns need to be thawed beforehand. Do you think it's a big deal if they aren't?"

Me- "Run them under warm water in a strainer for a second to thaw them and then drain them for a bit." 

Katelyn- "You're a damn genius, I tell ya!"

So, without further adieu, here is a terrific banana bread recipe straight from the kitchen of "a damn genius".   :)


Brown Sugar Banana Bread

1 3/4 c. flour
3/4 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
2 eggs
1/3 c. oil
2/3 c. brown sugar
1 c. mashed, ripe bananas (approximately 2)
1 tsp. vanilla

Beat eggs. Add oil, vanilla, brown sugar and mashed banana. Stir in baking soda, baking powder and salt, then gradually add flour.Mix well, but do not over beat.

Pour into a greased bread pan. Bake at 375 degrees for 40 minutes, testing with a toothpick. 


Brown sugar is the key ingredient and reason this bread is so delectable. Brown sugar contains molasses and is generally sweeter. When given a choice between white and brown sugar, I always opt for brown. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...