Monday, June 2, 2014

Note to Cody's Doctor

The U of U now has a health care website where you can keep in contact with doctors, schedule appointments, check lab results, etc.  

Cody had an appointment with his neurologist last week and afterward I stayed awake for most of two nights, having a conflicting conversation in my own head (I do that sometimes and will freely admit it.) Last evening, I finally made a decision and took advantage of the website to write a note to Cody's doctor. Normally I wouldn't share something so personal, but I think this might be beneficial to other parents going through similar situations. 

Dr. _______,

After giving Cody a couple of doses of the Vimpat, as directed, I have come to the conclusion that I would rather not change his medication. My mind is telling me to listen to you because you are a professional, but my gut is telling me not to do this to Cody at this time. After nearly 33 years of caring for Cody, I have learned, albeit the hard way, to listen to my mother's intuition. I DO understand what you said about it being only a matter of time before Cody has another grand mal seizure, but I would rather take the chance and deal with it if it happens than medicate Cody to the point where he has no quality of life.

This is only part of the note, but it's an important part because I've preached about mother intuition on my blog before. Responsibility for another human being who cannot express their own needs is difficult at best. I'm trusting that I made the right decision. Only time will tell, but in the meantime, Cody won't be so drugged up that he's dizzy and sleeping his life away.

1 comment:

Marilyn said...

Good call DeeAnn! No one knows Cody better than you :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...