Sunday, July 20, 2014

How to Preserve a Puzzle for Framing

When I saw this jigsaw puzzle on the Simple Pastimes website, I knew had to have it. Just look at it! It's a perfect fit for our airport working, Coca-Cola loving family!


 Here are the steps I took to prepare it for framing and display...

#1- Put the puzzle together (obviously). I suggest using a puzzle mat that can be rolled up (like the blue one below) or a large piece of plywood. This way, your puzzle can be moved if necessary. This particular jigsaw puzzle was 1000 pieces, so it took a little time and a lot of persuasion on my part to get my family members to help.


#2- When finished, gently slide wax paper under the entire puzzle.


#3- Be sure to overlap the wax paper and leave a border around the outside edges. This will prevent the Modge Podge from dripping onto your mat or other surface.



#4- Modge Podge the entire puzzle top. 






Be sure to cover each and every piece, then allow puzzle to dry completely. Repeat the process one or two more times. 


#5- When the final coat on top has dried completely, flip the puzzle over and Modge Podge the entire back. (One coat should be enough.) Allow to dry.


#6- Frame your puzzle. I took this one to Michaels and had it custom framed.  


My husband and I are pretty happy about the way it turned out. :)



8 comments:

rubyslipperz1052 said...

Thank you for sharing how to do it...now...I wanna have an "in-person" lesson. Will you come over? =D

hugZ,
annie

Anonymous said...

Thanks for idea

Anonymous said...

I enjoy doing puzzles, will try this cause I have finished puzzles to hang up. Love your idea.

Unknown said...

Is there a particular type of Mod Podge that you suggest? Some people mention one specifically for puzzles, but will any do?

dluvscoke said...

I don't think it really matters which brand of Mod Podge you buy. You can see the one that I used in the pics in the post.

Unknown said...

I will be framing my own - is there glass on the top?

Unknown said...

Wow al fin tengo algo seguro tengo varios rompecabeza y he buscado como protegerlos.. Pensar que tengo la pega y no me atrevia por no dañarlos.. Gracias

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much! Exactly what I needed to know. Your puzzle looks great framed. I have a vintage National Parks one I want to frame. So happy I found your post! 😁

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...