Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Mood Changes and MS: Practical Ways to Deal with Mood Swings

Before my husband was diagnosed, I only knew two people who had Multiple Sclerosis. One was a sweet lady who went to church with us and I remember her being pushed around in a wheelchair and doted over by her sweet little husband. The other person was my school teacher and she walked, ever so painfully, with canes. To say I was ignorant of this disease would be a gross understatement, because I assumed MS only affected a person's legs.

For those of you who do not know, Multiple Sclerosis is a disease where the insulating covers of nerve cells in the brain and spinal cord are damaged. This damage disrupts the ability of parts of the nervous system to communicate, resulting in a WIDE range of signs and symptoms, including physical, mental, and sometimes psychiatric problems. 

The struggle is real and the disease is ugly, but information is liberating. The videos put out by the National MS Society are extremely helpful for people who are trying to understand the many facets of Multiple Sclerosis.


 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...