1) The recipe I use calls for canned chilies instead of fresh. In most cases, fresh is better, but canned chilies are not tough and chewy like fresh chilies tend to be.
2) When making the batter, I separate the eggs and whip the egg whites until they are light and fluffy.
Since Cinco de Mayo is just around the corner, I want to share my recipe with you.
The Best Chili Rellenos Ever
1 lb. Monterrey Jack Cheese- cut into small strips (to fit inside the chilies)
8-10 Whole Green Chilies (canned)
6 eggs- separated
2 1/2 Tablespoons Flour
Enchilada Sauce (We prefer mild.)
Oil for frying
1) Stuff each green chili with strips of cheese. Sprinkle with salt.
2) Beat egg whites and 1 teaspoon salt until in holds a medium-firm peak.
3) Whisk egg yolks until thick.
4) Gently fold egg yolks and flour into egg white mixture.
Heat oil in skillet. Coat each chili with batter. Fry in hot oil on each side until golden brown.