Friday, September 10, 2010

Autism Tool

For a variety of reasons, people with disabilities may have a hard time communicating. This can be very frustrating for everyone involved. Sydspeak Inc. has a product called Talk To Me 100. It is an interactive tool for people who have difficulty with verbal expression. Talk To Me 100 allows the disabled person to press buttons, see and hear words, understand their meaning and communicate. I am excited about this tool for the following reason:

When my son Cody (blind and autistic) was in 9th grade, there was a talking computer in his classroom. One particular day, Cody spelled out "You Piss Me Off" on  the keyboard and the computer verbalized it. His teacher, not amused, believed his behavior was worth discipline. When she called to tell me about it, my only thought was "Oh my gosh, Cody! You found a way to tell her exactly how you feel! Way to go!"

Talk To Me 100 takes 3 AAA batteries, measures less than one square foot and weighs only one pound.

I think I know what Cody will be getting for Christmas!

You may find the Talk to Me 100 at the following website:

http://www.autismone.org/content/talk-me-100-sydspeak-inc

Note from Ed Arranga founder of Autism One: "Talk to Me 100 was developed by a speech and language pathologist with 35 years of experience and her son who were committed in developing an effective product parents could afford. Mission accomplished."

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...