Thursday, September 29, 2011

Road Trippin' Part Three

As we left the ghost town of Grafton, Don and I decided to pay a quick visit to the old cemetary.



We tried to read the gravestones, but some of them were so weather worn that they were illegible.



Severe flooding and Indian attacks are two major reasons Grafton was abandoned and left a ghost town. However, according to the information Don and I read on the following plaque, Diphtheria and Scarlet Fever also took a toll on town inhabitants.

I find it interesting that two girls, ages 13 and 14, died because a
swing broke. I sure would like to know the story behind that accident, especially since it happened in February.

If you would like to learn more about the ghost town of Grafton, go to http://www.graftonheritage.org/.

2 comments:

betty said...

I would be like you; wanting to know the story about behind the swing incident. I may be a bit morbid, but I like to spend time in cemetaries like this; just wondering, imagining how hard life could have been, young ages people died etc.

Again, it seemed like a great road trip!

betty

Snow White Archive said...

Even the the gravestones were quite worn, they sure are intricately carved. Beautiful!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...