1) Take care not to overmix the batter. A lumpy batter will produce tender muffins.
2) Muffin pans come in different sizes; therefore, you will need to adjust the cooking time accordingly.
3) If your muffin recipe does not fill all the cups in your pan, fill the empty cups with water. The muffins will bake more evenly.
4) Unless directions say otherwise, muffins should go directly into the oven as soon as the batter is mixed.
5) Always check muffins for doneness 5-7 minutes before the end of recommended baking time to avoid overbaking. The muffins are done if a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.