Age sixteen was a pivotal time in my life. During my Junior year of high school I found myself pregnant and my life forever changed. Looking back, I cannot really blame anyone but myself. I had been dating since age fourteen. During my Sophomore year, I began dating steadily. I quickly fell in love (and yes, I can say love. Even though I was young, it was much more than infatuation or mere physical attraction.). Bottom line is, I spent way too much time with him. Soon I found myself in a physical relationship that I didn't know how to get out of, nor did I really want to.
When they found out I was pregnant, my parents sent me to another city to live with my grandparents. My boyfriends parents had him join the National Guard. In the end, I ended up a single mother of a baby born with multiple birth defects.
If I could say anything to teen girls, it would be the following:
1) Don't steady date in high school.
2) Do not, under any circumstances, drink alcohol. It impairs your judgement.
3) Talk to your parents/guardians. No matter how uncomfortable it may be. It is better than ending up pregnant at your age.
4) Remember that you are actually still a child. You do not need another child growing inside your body.
5) Think, think, think before making any decisions. One mistake can affect your entire life!
Hopefully I can help young ladies make better decisions by sharing this shortened version of my personal story.