Saturday, August 21, 2010

Doctors and Moms: The Best Team

Recently my husband and I took our son to a Neurosurgeon that we had never seen before. Although I don't remember our exact conversation, I do remember the doctor looking at me and saying, "You know Cody best." I knew right then that we had found a great surgeon.

Generally speaking, it is best to leave the medicine to the doctors, but you are your child's best advocate, sometimes their only advocate, and there may be a time when you need to step in. Mothers know the habits and behavior of their children best. If something doesn't feel right, they should listen to their intuition and be persistent.

Many parents can easily get caught up in the idea that "the doctor knows best". I am guilty of this as well. It is through trial and error that I have learned to be assertive regarding the health of my children. I appreciate medical professionals; they have saved my children's lives on numerous occasions. However, it is refreshing when a mother's opinion is appreciated.


1 comment:

Marilyn said...

I AGREE WITH YOU 100%

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...